388 WEST 1ST AVE, VANCOUVER
|SUITES: 68||LEVELS 6||BUILT 2010|
|PETS yes||RENTALS yes||STRATA NO BCS3602|
The BC Telephone Company had this built in 1913-1915 as their offices and stores, a rare example of construction during World War 1. In the first two decades of the 20th century the marshy shores of False Creek were quickly disappearing, replaced by sawmills and other related industry. Wartime demands for shipbuilding - the city's largest industry at that time - brought new activity to the area; by 1917 False Creek east of Main Street had been filled in for two new railways and more industrial development. This heavy timber frame building with brick cladding reflects those changes. By 1927 an extension of the two bays to the east was completed. In 2009 the building was rehabilitated and converted to residential use.